Health Services » Diabetes Care

Diabetes Care

Diabetes Care at School

It is important that parents of students with diabetes communicate fully with the school nurse about the student’s needs.  If possible, plan to meet with the nurse prior to the beginning of the school year or before the first day of attendance for students who start later in the school year regarding the diabetes medical management of your child.

Mercedes ISD requires the following forms be signed by the parent/guardian for all students seeking diabetes care while at school: (all forms are linked below) 

  1. Diabetes Medical Management Plan (DMMP) English  & Spanish signed by the student’s physician (may be the DMMP form above or similar form from the physician or Diabetes Clinic)
  2. Medication Authorization Forms for use of insulin, glucagon, diabetic medication, glucose tablets/gels, etc.
  3. Authorization for Administration of Diabetes Management and Care Services by Unlicensed Diabetes Care Assistant Form  

  4. Insulin Pump Physician Orders for students using an insulin pump (may be the DMMP form or similar form from the physician or Diabetes Clinic)
  5. Special Diet Form-English & Spanish for students that require a special diet other than what is provided at school. The doctor must be specific on the number carbohydrates the child may have per day/meal or foods for the child needs to omit.
  •  A student’s parent/guardian is required to provide all necessary supplies, medication, snacks, juice, or water for the student.

Role of the Unlicensed Diabetes Care Assistant (UDCA)

House Bill No. 984 (Care of the Student with Diabetes) enacted in 2005, specifies that each school train one (1) unlicensed diabetes care assistant (UDCA), if a full-time nurse is assigned to the school. The UDCAs will provide diabetes management and care services, if the nurse is unavailable. Such services include, but are not limited to, the administration of insulin, or in an emergency, the administration of glucagon.